American actress and model, Amber Levonchuck, popularly known as Amber Rose has been hospitalised due to an extreme morning sickness, Hyperemesis gravidarum (HG).Pregnancy things.
Other celebrities that have suffered from the sickness include Kate Middleton, Kim Kardashian, Kourtney Kardashian, Kelly Clarkson and many others.
Here are 8 things you need to know about this pregnancy complication:
- Hyperemesis gravidarum is defined as severe nausea and vomiting during pregnancy. It affects 2% of pregnant women.
- HG symptoms usually appear between 4-6 weeks and peak at 9-13 weeks.
- Unlike morning sickness, which affects up to 80 percent of pregnant women, HG causes severe dehydration and prevents sufferers from keeping any food down.
- The exact causes of hyperemesis gravidarum are unknown. Risk factors include the first pregnancy, multiple pregnancies, obesity, prior or family history of HG, and a history of eating disorders.
- The first clear medical description of HG was in 1852 by Antoine Dubois.
- While previously known as a common cause of death in pregnancy, with proper treatment this is now very rare.
- Those affected have a lower risk of miscarriage but a higher risk of premature birth. Some pregnant women choose to have an abortion due to HG symptoms.
- If inadequately treated, it could lead to depression and post-traumatic stress disorder.
Amber, 35, is 13 weeks pregnant for her boyfriend, Alexander “AE” Edwards.