Below are 10 things you need to know about the technology.
1. The trial started on Wednesday and it will run for one year.
2. The e-SIMs are designed to deliver unprecedented freedom and flexibility. Unlike the physical SIMs, e-SIMs are built into smartphones, devices and wearables. They support multiple profiles and allow customers to connect multiple numbers to their e-SIM devices.
3. Notwithstanding the sophistication of e-SIMs, the onboarding requirements are the same as are required for a physical SIM. Hence, SIM registration in line with existing regulatory prescriptions remains a requirement for activating a device embedded with an e-SIM.
4. e-SIMs are particularly useful for people who want to manage personal and business lines easily and effectively or want a separate profile for data.
5. The new technology will also be extremely convenient for frequent travellers and tourists, making it easier for them to opt for and keep a local subscription when visiting Nigeria.
6. The trial is open on a first come first served basis to a limited number of subscribers who own compatible devices.
7. The e-SIM will also offer customers a seamless and distinctive digital experience with new levels of flexibility, simplicity and convenience.
8. MTN spearheads e-SIM adoption in Nigeria as part of efforts to enable the digital economy.
9. For all MTN mobile subscribers who own e-SIM compatible devices, setting up an e-SIM profile with a new or existing mobile plan is quick and easy. All it takes is a visit to an MTN service centre where frontline staff will help in registration and onboarding at no cost.
10. Soon, e-SIM users will also be able to link multiple compatible devices and smart wearables such as tablets, smartwatches etc to their profile.